In 2014 came the idea for a home in Austria. The love for the country is so hugh that we wanted more than just celebrating holidays. As a little girl, I already dreamed of having a cottage in the Alps.
By the end of 2017 this dream has became reality and Berghaus Christel was a fact.
The house was built with great care and attention for details. With the same love we have decorated it. A warm, cozy house with lots of natural elements that makes everyone feel welcome. With a south-facing garden and free mountain view, every new day feels wonderfull.
There is a lot to do in the vicinity of the Dreiländereck. We highlighted some of the many activities and sights and classified them into categories. In addition to a short description, there are also useful links to the locations. For everyone, young and old, there is much to discover and to see in this region of Austria, Italy and Slovenia. And especially enjoy !
Free tip! Buy the Kärnten Card. More than 100 trips are free or with a lot of discount to visit.
We hope you will experience it as well as we do.
Christel and Robert-Jan Jonker.
Our holiday home
Our Austrian holiday home is divided over a ground floor, first floor and attic. Through the patio doors in the living room you walk into the 30 meter deep privat backyard which is located south. The balcony of 2.50 meters deep also serves as a porch. In summer period you can take a seat out of the sun. In winter period you can enjoy the view without removing snow. To keep the heat out, the shutters can be used. Under the large carport you can put down the car. Ideal when there is snow expected.
In the garden is a gift from natur; a beautiful mountain stream where you can cool down and relax. In addition, the children can jump on the big trampoline.
Through the hall you go straight into the toilet room. Immediately behind it there is a laundry room where ski boots can be stored. The underfloor heating
provides warm shoes. From the hall to you enter the kitchen and dining room. The kitchen is equipped with built-in appliances; fridge and freezer, ceramic hob, dishwasher, oven and a Nespresso coffee machine.
The cozy dining table offer place to 7 people; for a nice breakfast or a cozy cheese fondue in the evening. (Fondue present). In the living room you find a big bench and chair near the wood stove for cozy evenings. Of course TV and WIFI internet are present.
Via the wooden stairs you arrive at the first floor. There are 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The parent bedroom has a double boxspring (160×200) and opening doors to the large balcony (2.50 x 5 meters). From this place you have a has fantastic view on the mountains. The room offers enough closet space.
The other bedroom also has a double boxspring (160×200). There is also chair which is easy to open to a full bed (really thick mattress 80×200). A large and small closet gives enough storage space.
The 2 bathrooms are both equipped with shower, toilet and washbasin.
The wooden stairs leads to the attic. This is a nice place for the kids. Here you find a bunk bed (2x 90×200) and a single bed (90×200), so you can accommodate 3 people. It’s also a fun place for the kids to play well and chill around.
Present in the chalet:
- Christmas tree with decoration
- Children sled
- Children chair
- 1 cot
Wintersports in the Dreiländereck ski area. A skilift is only 100 meters away. In total there are 7 lifts, including a 3-person chairlift and 17 kilometer ski slope. The ski area runs from 680m – 1600m high and has nice cottages for a lovely lunch or a cozy après ski.
The ski area is ideal for families. Many southern sun slopes and snow safety (including snow cannons) give fun and pleasure for everybody. For the youngest children there is a children’s country at the valley station. Even when there is not much snow there are enough snow cannons to ski over the slopes. Every Friday evening there is evening skiing from 19:00 to 22:00.
Is the ski slope near to Berghaus Christel to little for you? In Italy you find the authentic village of Tarvisio / Monte Lussari. This is only a 10-minute drive with delicious, affordable restaurants and a ski area with about 25 kilometers of ski slopes. There is a ski pass for sale, which allows you to ski in both ski areas. For cross-country skiing, there is more than 60 km loipen. More information about skiing in Tarvisio.
Slovenia is 15 minutes driving by car. Slovenia’s largest and most modern ski resort is in Kransjka Gora. This is a cozy Slovenian mountain village with about 20 kilometers of ski slopes. Ski jumping is practiced during summer period near to the village. Kransjka Gora has about 1400 inhabitants. This ski area thanks its fame to the FIS Ski World Cup held here each season. The ski slopes are suitable for all levels. The area also offers beautiful cross-country ski runs. Reed more about skiing in Kransjka Gora.
Gerlitzen ski area
In Austria there is at a 20-minute drive the Gerlitzen ski area, with about 40 kilometers of ski slopes. This is a very child-friendly and snow-safe ski resort, partly thanks to the many snow cannons. The ski area has quite a few red runs, but also for beginners enough possibilities. On the slopes are many small cottages where you can have a nice meal or drink. From the piste you have beautiful views, among a great view over the Ossiacher See.
The largest ski area in Carinthia, Nassfeld with more than 110 kilometers of slopes, is a 1/2 hour drive.
From the parking lot at Tröpolach, you can reach the Kofelplatz Madritsche with the Millennium Express in about 20 minutes. It is a very beautiful, modern ski area that extends from 600 to 2000 meters high.
Beautifully challenging slopes, off piste and a very long descent over 7 km that runs to Tröpolach. The ski area also offers plenty of opportunities for a cozy après ski. For a long period, this ski resort is labeled as a very snow proof ski arena. More info at www.topskipass.at
- The beautiful 10-kilometer cross-country ski run begins at 750m altitude. Starting and ending point is at the skilift near to our villa station. Also for the beginner this trail is great. http://www.3laendereck.at/langlaufen
- Snowbiking. On several days in winter this special descent is organized.
- Tourengeher. This is climbing the mountain with skies (the skis are covered with a sheet) and then descend through the prepared slopes. This winter activity dates back to the end of 1900 when there was no ski equipment. A winter sport for the fanatics. http://www.3laendereck.at/tourengeher
Dreiländereck ski area has an 8,4 km long natural trail through slopes and beautiful, romantic hiking trails to the valley. An experience for everyone. Start from lift at valley station.
- Mountain stream. There is a stream in the backyard. This stream provides direct cooling in summer and a place for children to play water well.
- Walking from the village. Immediately from Berghaus Christel to the right you enter the mountains. This is one of the many walks in the surrounding area.
- With the chair lift up. At 100 meters distance the chair lift brings you ‘up to the roof’ of the Karawanken mountains. You arrive on a fantastic alp with beautiful views and cows who welcome you. You can start your walk to the Dreiländereck here. After a brisk walk, you can relax, eat or have some drink at the panoramic restaurant.
- Village center. The village of Arnoldstein is approximately 2 km away, accessible trough of a well-accessible road which is always kept free of snow. Here you will find a number of supermarkets (Lidl, Billa), various restaurants, cafés and children’s playground. Other amenities in this village:
– Start 4 walks / hiking trails.
– Shops / Market
– Tennis court
– Car rental
– FIRST AID
- Walking. In Arnoldstein start 4 hiking trips, different in length and difficulty. Starting point is in the middle of the village near the playground. Read more about hiking, in the separate section ‘hiken’.
- Cycling. In the surrounding area you can enjoy cycling, hiking and mountain climbing to and around the various lakes in Austria, Villach and the neighboring countries Slovenia and Italy. And not just for the advanced cyclist. There are numerous cycling routes that are perfectly accessible for young and older people.
- River de Gail. Rafting and canoeing possibilities. Barbecue and swimming pools: There are several bbq and swim places on the banks of the River Gail.
- Villach: is after Klagenfurt the largest city in Carinthia with around 60,000 inhabitants. Villach is a 20-minute drive from our holiday village. This is a medium-sized city with a historic city center. You can find many galleries and beautiful fashion stores. The river Drau flows through the city center with its many shops, cafes and restaurants. The city lies at the foot of the Dobratsch mountain (2.166 meters) and the same-named nature park. This park has several hiking trails. The Villacher Alpenstraβe is a very nice trip by car; with one of Austria’s most beautiful views. Read more about the possibilities the mountain Dobratsch is offering you. Highly recommended !
- Shopping mall just before the city Villach: Atrio. Here you will find nice shops and cozy restaurants. Check the the website of Atrio for more information.
- Kransjka Gora at 15 min drive (Slovenia). Typical Slovenian mountain village, which you can reach for example via the Würzenpass, with nice ski slopes. Near to Slovenia there is a ski jumping mountain. Here is ski jumping training during summer, very nice to see. The village has about 1400 inhabitants. This ski area thanks its fame to the FIS (world cup skiing), held here each season. The ski slopes are suitable for all levels. Also a nice area for cross-country skiing. Kransjka Gora is situated near the Triglav National Park. This is Slovenia’s only national park. This park is no less than 880km2 and covers 3% of Slovenia. See link to Trenta Lodge for more information. Cycling and hiking in Slovenia? Please see this link for very basic information.
- Tarvisio at 10 minutes driving (Italy). There you will find the real Italy right away. Despite tourism it is a really cozy, friendly and affordable village. Here is also a permanent, covered market of vegetables, fruit and clothing.
- Kärnten Therme in Warmbad-Villach. This very nice SPA belongs to one of Austria’s best wellness locations and can be reached in approximately 15 minutes. www.kaerntentherme.com. There is also a swimming paradise in this wellness complex.
- Subtropical swimming pool. In Kransjka Gora there is a subtropical swimming pool.
- Hiking. Besides skiing there are also very nice hiking trails on the Gerlitzen. Go up with the Gerlitzen-Kanzelbahn and see for example a hiking trail to several waterfalls Finsterbach Wasserfälle.
- Toboggan run. Carinthia has several toboggan runs, such as in Ossiach. Check out the site and location here.
- Fishing. In various lakes in the area can be fished as well. For example in the Silbersee. This lake is situated near to Villach.
- Golf courses. Golfers can enjoy themselves in this area: 4 golf courses in 3 countries! There are 2 golf courses nearby in Austria (Golfclub Nassfeld at 30km, Golfclub Schloss Finkenstein at 47km), 1 in Italy (Golf Senza Confini Tarvisio at 20km) and 1 in Slovenia (Bled Golf Course at 62km). Also, you can find a small golfclub in Kransjka Gora, with a 6 hole course.
- Geotrail. This trail starts in Nassfeld. An active day for everyone in the mountains. Click here to see the possibilities.
- Gmünd, Porsche Museum. The only private Porsche Museum is situated in Gmünd in Carinthia, where the first cars were built with the name Porsche. See the website of the Porsche Museum Gmünd.
- Beach Grado. Does it regain it in Austria and would you like to go to the sun? Great chance of better weather on the Italian coast. Within 2 hours you are from Berghaus Christel on the beach of Grado. This city is also worthwhile to visit. Grado is a historic seaside town located along the northeastern Adriatic coast of Italy, in the region Friuli-Venezia. Read more about Grado and the possibilities at this beautifull coast.
Enjoy and experience 3 cultures in 1 vacation
From Berghaus Christel, you reach Italy in 10 minutes, Slovenia within 15 minutes and you are in Villach city in 20 minutes. So close together and yet so different.
- Klagenfurt: is the capital of Carinthia and is a beautiful city with museums, culture and beautiful shops. Tripadvisor gives you advice on the best things to do in the area.
- Villach: is after Klagenfurt the largest city in Carinthia with around 60,000 inhabitants. Villach is a 20-minute drive from our holiday village. This is a medium-sized city with a historic city center. You can find many galleries and beautiful fashion stores. The river Drau flows through the city center with its many shops, cafes and restaurants. The city lies at the foot of the Dobratsch mountain (2.166 meters) and the same-named nature park. This park has several hiking trails. The Villacher Alpenstraβe is a very nice trip by car; with one of Austria’s most beautiful views. Highly recommended ! Read more at Tripadvisor.
- Kransjka Gora at 15 min drive (Slovenia). Typical Slovenian mountain village, which you can reach for example via the Würzenpass, with nice ski slopes. Near to Slovenia there is a ski jumping mountain. Here is ski jumping training during summer, very nice to see. The village has about 1400 inhabitants. This ski area thanks its fame to the FIS (world cup skiing), held here each season. The ski slopes are suitable for all levels. Also a nice area for cross-country skiing. Kransjka Gora is situated near the Triglav National Park. This is Slovenia’s only national park. The park is no less than 880km2 and covers 3% of Slovenia. See link to Trenta Lodge for more information. Cycling and hiking in Slovenia? See this link for basic information.
- Tarvisio at 10 minutes driving (Italy). There you will find the real Italy right away. Despite tourism it is a really cozy, friendly and affordable village. Here is also a permanent, covered market of vegetables, fruit and clothing. You are looking for beautifull nature? Just near to Tarvisio is Lago di Fusine. A small clear mountain lake where you can walk around in approximately 2km. Beautiful views with nice picnic areas …Check more possibilities at tripadvisor.
- Kärnten Therme in Warmbad-Villach belongs to one of Austria’s best wellness locations and can be reached in approximately 15 minutes. www.kaerntentherme.com. There is also a swimming paradise in the wellness complex.
- In Kransjka Gora there is a subtropical swimming pool.
Enjoy the many hiking possibilities in and around South Carinthia. There are enough possibilities in Austria, Italy and Slovenia. Also possible is a 3-country tour.
- Hiking in Austria; lots of possibilities in the area. Check out the link to the see handy tourmap.
- Hiking in Italy; around Tarvisio are 15 beautiful routes. Check out the link and check the possibilities.
- Hiking in Slovenia; more than 100 km of hiking trails. Check out the link to discover the 21 trails.
Climate of the three countries point
The south of Carinthian has a nice climate: in summer periods high temperatures up to 30 degrees, lots of sunshine, with nice evening temperatures in August. In Seltschach there is mostly no wind. Sometimes it suddenly blows a lot and then there is usually a short cooling down from the Mediterranean. In summer the temperature rises to above 25˚C in no time.
The winters are characterized by a lot of sunshine, snow and cold nights. It can be at night – 20˚C, and then the next day + 20˚C in the sun. The air temperature is then at the same time around the freezing point. In the south of Austria there are almost no ‘warm’ winds, like elsewhere in Austria. Because of this snow condition remains better. As a result, this Southern Carinthia is a snow sure ski area with lots of sunshine. It is wonderful skiing here. And then in the sun, on a terrace having a lunch or a glühwein drink. In addition, ski passes and ski lessons are affordable as well as the apres ski on the slopes.
This lake is about a 20-minute drive. It is the fourth largest lake in Carinthia. Only the Wörther See and the Millstätter See are larger. The lake is 10.8m2 large and the water temperature can reach 25˚C. The lake offers many water sports opportunities: swimming, surfing, sailing, rowing, water skiing and even diving. There are also boat trips and even summer evenings trips on the big lake. On the south side of the lake is Ossiach, with a beautiful historical center. On the north side, a cable car runs the Gerlitzen. From there you have fantastic views on the lake and beyond. Read more about activities on and around the Ossiacher See on Tripadvisor.
The Faaker See, with its turquoise color, is slightly closer to our villa, is much smaller but also warmer. It is the most southern swimming lake in Austria and has 2 inhabited islands. The Faaker See is at the foot of the Karawanken. This lake is 2.2 m2 and reaches a lake temperature up to 27˚C. Various water sports activities are possible here. Read more about activities on and around the Faaker See on Tripadvisor.
The Presseger See is one of the warmest lakes in Austria. It is surrounded by mountains and trees with fantastic views. With water temperatures up to 28˚C, this is more commonly called the Gail Valley bath tube. The high temperature of the lake makes it one of the first swimlakes of Carinthia, every year. One of the reasons why this lake is so warm is because of the many hours of sunshine you have here in the south of Austria. A big playground is also here. Check Erlebnispark for more information.
The Silbersee is a small lake next to Villach. It has beautiful sunbathing areas, play facilities for the children and is freely accessible. In summer season you may find some more young people which can make a bit more noise.
Accessibility of the location at Dreiländereck
Seltschach is easily reached by motorway or through the mountains. By car you drive over the highway to Berghaus Christel up to 4 kilometers. The ski area has its own motorway exit. The road to our house is kept free from snow. All this, without having to cross a pass. The Dreiländereck location is very centrally situated between different ski areas and countries: Austria, Italy and Slovenia.
Through the air
Many (low cost) airlines fly to modern airports of Klagenfurt (45 mins), Salzburg (2 hours) and Innsbruck (2:30 pm). The Italian airports of Treviso (2:15 pm), Marco Polo at Venice (2 hours) and Trieste (1 hour) are also within range, as is Lubljana Airport (45 min) in Slovenia.
By the train
The train is also a good opportunity to reach our villa. There is a very good connection via Munich-Salzburg-Villach (after 15 minutes by taxi you arrive at Seltschach, the village where Berghaus Christel is located).